Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on a question in blue to open up an answer.
- You can click on New Member Enquiries on the left hand side of our web site or ring the Membership Secretary, Lynda Jackson, on 473 6947
- U3A Dunedin Charitable Trust - 06 0911 0194029 00
- The annual fee is $30 and the membership year is the same as the calendar year - January 1st to December 31st. The fee is the same whenever you join.
- Yes - you will get more from your membership if you do use the web site.
The annual cost of postage is about $25.50 out of the $30 annual membership fee.
We do post the most important items to those members who need to receive them by ordinary mail who were on the mailing list at October 2022.
After that we only accepted new members who could communicate by e-mail due to the cost of posting materials.
- 930 in January 2022, of whom 40 are not on internet.
Yes - so long as they are a member of a U3A elsewhere (in NZ or overseas), and so long as the course is not full. Casual attendees pay the usual $10.
A courtesy ‘phone call to the Course Convenor never goes amiss.
If the person is here for a few months (eg secondment) and wishes to attend more than one series, it is expected that they will join U3A Dunedin. This seems to fit with visitors’ rights in other organisations.
- There are three lecture series, Autumn, Winter and Spring as well as Discussion Groups which run every month. Please look at the Courses and Resources page for fuller details.
- Yes and you can have either a credit or a refund for your course fee.
Any member who withdraws from a course before it begins shall be entitled to a full credit of any course fee already paid, provided that he or she notifies the Programme Secretary before the course begins.
No credit will be given once a course starts.
The U3A Board may vary these refund conditions in individual cases.
To apply for a refund in the form of a credit use this enquiry form.
In the event of a cancellation/postponement:
- A notice of any postponement will be on the U3A Home Page by 8am.
- All people with an e-mail address will be sent a message via e-mail to advise.
- People with no e-mail will receive a phone call from the Course Convenor or Assistant.
- People with no e-mail should listen to The Breeze (98.2FM), Radio Dunedin (99.8FM), and More FM (97.4FM) for details.
These details are normally read out at the first lecture in each session.
- If you know you are going to miss a lecture in the future, please put an “Ap” (Apology) on the attendance list.
- If you missed a lecture unexpectedly, please put an “Ap” on the attendance list when you return.
- You can ask a friend to record an apology for you.
- You do not need to ring U3A with an apology.